Confronting the Crisis of Global Governance
In mid-2015, an unprecedented opportunity arose for Citizens for Global Solutions to participate in a worldwide effort to strengthen the capability of the UN to promote and keep the peace. The Commission on Global Security, Justice, & Governance was formed in order to address global challenges and authored a report called Confronting the Crisis of Global Governance, which issued recommendations for reforming and strengthening the United Nations in the following ways:
- Creating U.N. conflict mediation and peace operations capacity with early-warning capabilities
- Launching the U.N. Parliamentary Network as an advisory body for the U.N. General Assembly
- Establishing an International Carbon Monitoring Entity and Global Climate Action Clearinghouse
- Expanding U.N. Security Council membership to increase its representative legitimacy
- Establishing a U.N. Peacebuilding Council
- Strengthening the International Court of Justice
- Developing a Global Network of Cybercrime Centers
- Strengthening the Responsibility to Prevent, Protect and Rebuild
75th Anniversary of the U.N.
In addition, the Commission proposes that Civil Society organizations and UN member-nations collaborate to organize a World Conference on Global Institutions in 2020, the 75th Anniversary of the U.N. to provide a target date to enact the urgent global governance reforms necessary for a secure and just future.
UN2020.org is leading the development of a broad-based coalition to ensure that this opportunity for humanity to rescue its future does indeed take place. CGS has endorsed this effort.